Friends of the Fiscalini Ranch Preserve (FFRP) is fortunate to have a devoted corps of volunteers. Volunteers maintain trails, restore habitat, lead docent walks, and put on events, among other many projects. In the first six months of 2022 alone, FFRP volunteers have put in more hours than two full-time employees. But they are not yet done. Here are some upcoming volunteer opportunities and activities.
Water and Ice (Plant): Habitat enhancement is a key FFRP program. Taking care of natives and removing invasive non-native plants is a year-round task. Turn out to help with restoration at these volunteer work parties organized by Brian Morgan and Michael Thomas.
- Saturday, August 13, 10:00 a.m. to noon: water the Monterey pine saplings
- Saturday, August 27, 10:00 a.m. to noon: ice plant removal work party
- Saturday, September 10, 10:00 a.m. to noon: ice plant removal work party
- Saturday, September 17, 10:00 a.m. to noon: water the Monterey pine saplings
- Saturday, October 22, 10:00 a.m. to noon: water the Monterey pine saplings
Watering work parties will meet south of the Dolphin Bench (look for the truck). Ice plant removal parties will meet at the south Bluff Trail entrance on Windsor Boulevard. Basic supplies are provided at all volunteer events, but sturdy shoes, long pants, tick spray, and gloves are recommended. FFRP is always in need of weeders who love the Ranch and want to spend time with people who feel the same. To get on the volunteer list, write to volunteer at ffrpcambria.org.
Docent Walks: To learn more about this treasure in the heart of Cambria, take a free docent walk. They are an excellent chance to visit with an expert and explore diverse aspects of the Ranch. Registration is required at: fisclainiranchpreserve.org.
- Saturday, August 13, 10:00 a.m. to noon: Sea and Land … A Partnership on the Ranch Preserve
- Saturday August 20, 10:00 a.m. to noon: Mental, Spiritual, and Physical Benefits of Our Ranch
- Saturday, September 17, 10:00 a.m. to noon: Seek the Secrets of the Bluff Trail
- Saturday, September 24, 10:00 a.m. to noon: Yes, Our Pinus radiata are Important, But …
Gathering in the Garden: For a taste of a local social event, a celebration will be had on Saturday, August 27, at the Cambria Nursery and Florist from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. In addition to live music, wine tasting, and a raffle, attendees will learn about FFRP’s new oral history project. Tickets are available at FFRP’s store (604 D Main Street) open Thursday through Saturday, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or online at: fisclainiranchpreserve.org.
This article first appeared on https://cambriaca.org/